CSB Walk-in Assessment

What happens during a Walk-in Assessment?

You will be asked to fill out some paperwork and provide some brief medical background information to help us better understand the symptoms the youth is experiencing. (You may be asked to wait while your information is being reviewed.)

The youth will be invited to meet with a clinician, who will ask more questions about his or her symptoms and history. The clinician will also talk with you about whether the youth appears to be eligible for CSB services or if there may be another resource in the community that would be more helpful and appropriate.

If the youth does not appear to meet CSB admission criteria, you will be given a list of other service providers and resources in the community. (If you subsequently are unable to get help from these listed providers, please contact the CSB, which will try to help you find other resources.)

If the youth does meet CSB admission criteria, you will then speak with a member of CSB’s business staff to go over fees and insurance information and to conduct a business registration. The youth will then be invited to meet with a clinician for a more in-depth mental health and/or substance use assessment, which may take as long as two hours. After the assessment, the youth will receive a treatment recommendation, which could include various services depending upon the level of care that is suggested. If you decide to pursue the CSB services recommended for the youth, the clinician will explain the next steps toward starting treatment.

What should you bring to a Walk-in Assessment?

So your youth’s registration can be processed efficiently, please bring:

  • Proof of identity (such as a driver’s license or other state-issued ID card, a school picture ID, a passport, a picture ID issued by an embassy or consulate or a birth certificate);
  • Proof of residency in Fairfax County, Fairfax City or the City of Falls Church (such as a lease agreement, a letter from your current landlord, a mortgage agreement, a Department of Motor Vehicles change of address card, a driver’s license or other state-issued ID card with current address, a utility bill with your name and current address or a letter from a homeless shelter if you are currently homeless);
  • Health insurance cards, including Medicaid and Medicare if applicable;
  • Name, address and telephone number of your current primary care physician and/or therapist; and
  • Proof of legal guardianship and/or proof of guarantor assignment, if needed;

If you have income, please bring:

  • Most recent income tax return (preferred);
  • Most recent Social Security Annual Earning Statement (or 1099 form or award letter); or
  • Recent pay statements or pay stubs for the past month for yourself and your spouse if you are married.

The CSB may ask your permission to call your employer to obtain missing pay information.

If you have no income:

  • You will be asked to certify that the information is true to the best of your knowledge.